Thank you for purchasing MasterTemplate (AMT). You may download and install the ArchiCAD 17 version by following these instructions.
NOTE: Other versions of MasterTemplate are available from the links in the sidebar menu.
MASTERTEMPLATE 17 – DOWNLOAD & SETUP
1. To download MasterTemplate, right-click the appropriate file below and choose Save As or Save Linked File As or Save Target File As (this command varies depending on what browser you are using)
2. Unzip and place all the contents together into a suitable folder (you may want to call it AMT, and place it into your My Documents or Documents folder).
3. Open up ArchiCAD 17, and tell it to browse for a file, choose All Files from the type popup rather than solo project, and go to that folder and open up the MasterTemplate 17 [USA/INT] TEMPLATE.tpl file.
4. You will likely get three warning messages while the file is being read, which are easy to correct:
5. After the file finishes opening, you will need to relink the Hotlinked Modules. In the File menu > External Content > Hotlink Manager, highlight one of the HLM files in the lower section, click the Relink -> from file button, then browse to the MasterTemplate Linked Files folder and find the file (you may need to switch the popup to show PLN files rather than MOD files). Repeat for the other two HLM files. Click OK to finish the relinking, then ArchiCAD will reload the HLM files from their new location.
6. You should save the file at that point, having cleaned up these basic links.
7. You will want to customize the template to make it your own. A first step is to replace the company logo file (AMT Layout Master Company Logo.jpg) in the MasterTemplate Linked Files folder. You can open this file in an image editing program, paste in your company logo, and then save (replacing the original file). The Master Layouts (title blocks) refer to this file, and will update to show your logo when you update any of the drawings on the sheet.
8. Other customization is described in the MasterTemplate Manual. As you revise the template, you may want to give it a different name than the original (MasterTemplate 17 [USA/INT] TEMPLATE.tpl) to make it clear that this is your own version. This file should remain (and be saved as) a TPL (template) file.
9. If you’d like to bring into your template information from previous templates or projects in your office, you may open up two sessions of ArchiCAD (click the checkbox when you browse for the file to start a new instance of ArchiCAD), and copy and paste between the two.
10. You can use the TPL right away in your work – when you start a new project, you’ll pick the Use a Template option and browse for this file. Later, when you pick Use a Template it will remember this file as the default for new projects, and it will stay in the popup list in case you pick another one for any reason.
The MasterTemplate Manual is somewhat out of date, and will be reworked in the near future.
For information about what has changed in MasterTemplate 17 (compared to AMT 16) please read the AMT 17 Release Notes [coming soon].
You may also find it useful to refer to the Release Notes for the past several versions, which go into further depth about certain features:
There are video tutorials and other materials on this website in the MasterTemplate Tutorials and Training sections.
SAMPLE PROJECT FILES
Please explore the Sample Project that illustrates many of the features of MasterTemplate in context. You will find this in the MasterTemplate Supplemental Files folder. There is one version for USA users that loads the standard ArchiCAD 17 Library; for International users, there is a special INT version that has all the USA library parts embedded, since you don’t normally have the USA Library on your system.
In the International version, ALL the library parts used in the model or referenced by the template Legends (kits of parts) are embedded into the sample project file, so they do not rely on an outside library. This is not the way we suggest working on a normal project. We do this so that International users may open the files without needing to download the entire USA library.
When you open the sample project, you’ll get the standard warning messages about the Hotlinked Modules being missing, which you can ignore – leaving them unlinked will not cause any problems as you browse around inside the file. In fact, if you are an International user, it’s best to leave these alone and not update the links, since these Hotlinked Modules refer to the USA versions of the Interactive Legends, which (again) you wouldn’t normally have loaded on your system.
For more information on the Sample Project, please see the AMT17 Release Notes [coming soon].
QUESTIONS / ASSISTANCE
If you’d like BCG to help you set up MasterTemplate, or are interested in project-focused assistance or guidance on how to optimize ArchiCAD for your office, we are available on a consulting basis. We can work remotely via GoToMeeting to share a screen while talking on the phone, and address any or all of your implementation or training questions. Please email or call us at 1-415-479-4284 if you’d like to discuss how we might help you.
Thanks for your purchase of MasterTemplate. We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you!
Principal, Bobrow Consulting Group
Creator of MasterTemplate – The Office Standard for ArchiCAD